Saturday 7 March 2009

Unborn Undecided

Truly cannot make up my mind on the new "horror" Unborn

Right I have to give you a background to my motives in seeing this film, my original plans were to see the new Woody Allen flick Vicky Christina Barcelona due to a friends recommendation, but the Little Theater being little (unsurprisingly) was sold out. So I was forced to join the masses who pour to Odeon on an Orange Wednesday and make a new decision because for some reason the Odeon think they are too good for Woody Allen. Realising they were not showing Confessions of a Shopoholic instead of VCB, I found myself cursing the big Odeon corporation like an outraged Goth when Boots runs out of black makeup. After I collected myself I saw they were showing the Unborn, a film I had seen on Apple trailers and thought looked pretty good but being such a hard ass was turned off by the 15 certification. Anyway I beat my pride and joined a full cinema to watch the Unborn

From the offset you could tell this film was going to try to make you jump at every loud sound or door opening. Although I was determined not to shit myself in front of 50 or so impressionable teenage girls. I have to say I succeeded. So here is a spoiler - the film follows a late teen/early 20's girl haunted by her mother's suicide as she starts to see images of young blue eyed boy. Things are exacerbated when one of her eyes changes colour and it is revealed that she had a twin brother who died in the womb. Anyway not to give too much away the film climaxes with a Jewish/Christian Exorcism that turns into carnage.

As the film ended a resounding 'meh' surrounded the cinema - was it scary - yeah a little but nothing we had not seen before with certain horror aspects stolen from the Grudge and the Exorcist (no surprises for guessing which bits) - was it entertaining - the acting was laughable and it does have a hilarious scene where a child is run over (you have to see it to understand) - can I decide - not at all.

Overall I am aware it was a pretty shit film, but I am trying to think if they could have made it scarier and I really do not think so. It was jumpy and there were some pretty messed up images so it ticks many of the horror criteria but maybe that has just become a standard in the movie genre that it is not scary anymore. The film has actually got me pondering the genre entirely - has my generation become so desensitised that films have to be really special to invoke horror - to avoid a philosophical debate (and by the fact that I did not sleep the night after seeing Quarrantine recently) I will say no.

Basically see this film if you are easily scared and enjoy a little horror. Do not look for substance, good acting or groundbreaking plotline. An average film at best that has been left open for a sequel but we can only hope Sin City 2 graces our screeens before that.

IMDb gives it 4.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes gives it 13%
Reel Opinion gives is 5.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment