Monday 9 March 2009

Watchmen - Watch with Caution

OK so I jumped on the Watchman band wagon and rushed to see it and thought I would blog straight away while it is fresh in mind

So I had been looking forward to this film since the trailer came out nearly a year ago and was even tempted to buy the graphic novel but decided to save the pleasure for the big screen. After 300's epic entrance into my ever growing DVD collection, I was sure that Zak Snyder would bulk the CV with another visually stunning and entertaining watch. Well, Watchman was definitely one of them.

Unfortunately I have to say it was more the former - a visually fantastic film with great fight sequences, which are just too rare for this film. Before I receive any criticism, I know it is a graphic novel and is therefore restricted to what is written on the pages but still the trailer was totally misleading. A two and a half minute trailer portrays a raging action film that will salivate your average man - the film however being over two and a half hours long probably still only has two and a half minutes of action. When they come they are good, but the bits in between can drag.

The storyline is original and so a spoiler would well spoil the movie. The acting is okay, not oscar winning and sadly the one scene that may be etched in my mind will be the awful fall to the knees and screaming NOOOOO, that may even be worse than the moment Star Wars was ruined by a similar scene (see episode 3).

On the positive side, it is entertaining, but not as much as I would have hoped and it may be a little too long although this is necessary to convey the whole story. Rockshaw was an awesome character played very well, but in essence the villain is an old Milky Bar kid that was less scary than the fallacial images of Dr Manhattan.

In short, see this movie and make up your own mind. Some love it and some hate it. I liked it but will not rush to see it again any time soon.

IMDb gives it 8.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes gives it 64%
Reel Opinion gives it 7.2/10

Written by squaredmovie

3 comments: